Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Broadcasting God (Acts 11)

Read Acts 11 before proceeding.

Read Acts 11 online: Acts 11

Listen to Acts 11 online: Acts 11


1 – 18

Peter directly disobeyed the Jewish law by eating with Gentiles. And to break the Jewish law meant that one sinned against God. Some people in the Church were encouraged by this bold move, others were appalled. The ones called “the circumcision” (v1) were critical of Peter’s actions and wanted him to explain his activities.

I can hear the conversation now between Peter and the circumcised Jewish men.

“They invited me!” Peter points to himself in defense.

“If a prostitute invited you over, would you say yes?” A man sitting directly across from Peter leans in.

“It’s not like that. It was only food,” Peter's large, fishermen arms cross over. “Our food laws have hindered us too long. God does not show partiality and he doesn’t want us too either.”

“So, now God doesn’t care about the law?” a man next to him asks. Yet, his tone said he already knew the answer.

Peter stood to his feet, “Of course he cares about His law. But he DID write it. If he decides to change it, then who are we to say otherwise? Besides, there were others. The Spirit told me to go to the house. Then, after I gave the message, the Spirit fell on them. We all saw it.”

“Peter, you are outspoken and need attention,” the first man spoke, “This only proves how big of an ego you have. It will get us into trouble. Our Jewish brothers are already suspicious of us. They are ready at any moment to crush us.”

“But others saw. There were witnesses. What does the law say about witnesses? 2 or more? Others saw the Spirit come over the men and women.”

“I doubt that,” The man locked his hands behind his back. He started to pace, with eyes squinting to the ceiling. It looked as if he were trying to tune into God’s frequency. He stopped pacing. It looked as if he found the right frequency, “First, why would the Spirit lead you to break the law of God? Second, why does the Spirit need a mere man to tell his message? If he wanted these heathens to know the message, He could go directly to the heathens without jeopardizing your faith. Even if nothing came of it, it's the very appearance of evil...”

“What God called good, we cannot call bad. And if He wants salvation to be brought to the gentiles," Peter's gnarled hands pointed to the ceiling of the synagogue, "then I will jeopardize my faith, myself, my family any day of the week!” His ears burned red hot.

The antagonist balled up his hands. Then, he looked directly at Peter, “God doesn’t need your help Simon Peter.”

“But He wants it,” Simon Peter shot back.

“What happened exactly?” Several men turned to the voice in the back of the room. It was one of those men that rarely spoke, but when he did, all others quieted. “Forgive me Peter. The events are still vague?”

So, Peter retells the story of Cornelius in Acts 11:1-17.

Ugh.

That’s my response. It can be a real bummer standing before people and trying to explain how God is stretching me, challenging me or blessing me and the people around me. How many living rooms, coffee shops, bars, or kitchens have we been in where we are trying to explain what we believe God is doing? How many times have you preferred not to say anything? You can hear the accusation of the listeners, the strange looks, the “pat-on-your-head” answers. “That’s nice dear. Well, hope that works out.”

Ugh.

Sometimes, I would rather not share God’s activity in my life (good or bad) because I really don’t need the knee jerk judgments. Sometimes, I’d rather drive a staple gun between my big toe and the slightly smaller one than talk about God.

A few of my friends have explained to me why they don’t enjoy talking about God’s activity in their life:

  • If it isn’t really God at work, I feel stupid.
  • Judge. Judge. Judge.
  • I don’t really think about God’s goodness, rather the world’s brokenness.
  • I don’t want to brag. Talking about God’s goodness is a veiled, “my life is perfect. Why isn’t yours?”
  • Talking about God isn’t cool in social circles (which is a shame. If we did it right, then when we speak about God, people should feel as if they entered into something sacred and beautiful, if only for a moment).
  • I don’t know God. If I did, I’d be more than happy to talk about Him.

Truly, it is a relief to remember that it’s about God and not me. How people respond to God’s work cannot be on me. So what if you don’t know Him too well? What you do know, you can tell others. Maybe you only dwell on the brokenness of the world. What if this is just a great opportunity to learn how to dwell on God’s goodness (Psalm 145). What about veiled bragging? If you truly talk ABOUT God, then you’re bragging on God and not yourself. Most people will walk away with something good when you brag on God.

If I give witness to the greatness of God’s work, His glory is no longer muted, rather it is broadcasted in the living room, coffee shop and bar. If I were completely honest, the majority of people have been blessed because I let God’s goodness be broadcasted, even if a few still respond with only judgment and cynicism.

(verse 18) When they [Peter's critics] heard these things they fell silent. And they glorified God, saying, “Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life.”

Peace

Kevin

3 comments:

  1. Those that were with Peter in this conversations did a few things that I think are interesting:
    They Questioned
    They Protested
    They Heard
    They were Silent and
    They Glorified God

    That's quite a process, to get to the place where God had planned for them to be all along, In His Glory. I wonder how many times we go through ALL of these steps before we get to places God has planned for us. Another thing I notice is how those of us who have been hurt by the church, have rebelled against the church or have turned our back on any God-based religion go through all of these steps as well....but maybe don't end up at the same place: In His Glory.
    Oh yeah, and how often Do we miss the step of being silent?
    hmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen. Amen. Amen. Love it. Tough, but good thoughts. I would like to think that those who do turn their back so to speak, actually find themselves closer to the truth because they are more honest with themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I track with your 'ugh'. Peter was resting, sleeping, and God invaded his slumber with the unfamiliar to him.
    Triune God's invaded my life slumber with the unfamiliar to me. Explaining that to others will always be difficult, the stretch.

    blessings and grace brother

    ReplyDelete